The IPI Turkish National Committee hosted the English-language webinar “Digital Censorship: Turkey’s New Social Media Law and Its Implications for Free Media” following the passage of Turkey’s controversial new social media regulations in July which dramatically expands government control over free expression on social media and online platforms.
An initial Turkish-language webinar on the social media law was held to mark Turkey’s Press Day on July 24, which marks the abolition of official censorship in 1908 during the late Ottoman Empire.
- Banu Güven, Anchorwoman, journalist for DW Turkish
- Sergey Lagodinsky, MEP (Greens/EFA), Chair of the Delegation to the EU-Turkey Joint Parliamentary Committee
- Emre Kızılkaya, Vice-chair of IPI Turkey National Committee; Project editor, Journo.com.tr
- Yaman Akdeniz, Academic and cyber-rights expert
- Scott Griffen, IPI Deputy Director